The Christian Bible contains many spiritual warfare scriptures that not only describe spiritual warfare but also give advice on how to fight in such a battle. This article contains some of the best spiritual warfare scriptures from both the old and new testaments.
What is Spiritual Warfare
Christians believe that there is a war that takes place in the spiritual realm. The war is, essentially, a battle between good and evil. Satan and his devils want to draw Christians away from living a life that would be pleasing to God. This can be accomplished in a number of ways including temptation, tragedy or even through overwhelming success.
Anything that the enemy of God (Satan) can use to lead one away from a life that is consecrated to God is a tool that may be used in this spiritual warfare.
Spiritual Warfare Scriptures: Old Testament
- Blessed be the Lord, my Rock and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight -Psalms 144:1
- You shall not fear them, for the Lord your God shall fight for you. -Deuteronomy 3: 22
- My God, my Rock, in Him will I take refuge; my Shield and the Horn of my salvation; my Stronghold and my Refuge, my Savior–You save me from violence. -2 Samuel 22:3
- I call on the Lord, Who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. -2 Samuel 22:3
- So [as the result of the Messiah's intervention] they shall [reverently] fear the name of the Lord from the west, and His glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him and put him to flight [for He will come like a rushing stream which the breath of the Lord drives]. -Isaiah 59:19
Spiritual Warfare Scriptures: New Testament
- For though we walk (live) in the flesh, we are not carrying on our warfare according to the flesh and using mere human weapons. For the weapons of our warfare are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood], but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds.
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-4
- For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. -Ephesians 6:12
- Stand therefore [hold your ground], having tightened the belt of truth around your loins and having put on the breastplate of integrity and of moral rectitude and right standing with God. -Ephesian 6:14
- So be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you. -James 4:7
- But thanks be to God, Who gives us the victory [making us conquerors] through our Lord Jesus Christ. -1 Corinthians 15:57
The above are just a few examples of the many spiritual warfare scriptures that are found in both the old and the new testaments. The theme of most is that if one trusts in God that He will do the fighting and the believer will be victorious.